Pages

Friday 29 November 2013

I have a killer hip-Tolani Osirin

Tolani Osirin
Abiodun Sofuyi Okeowo, also known as “Tolani
Osirin” is a well-known name in the
Yoruba genre of Nollywood, the Nigerian movie
industry. A single mother of two, Abiodun is
barely seven years in the industry. But she is
already a known face with her scintillating
performances. Reputed to have one of the
sexiest shapes in the industry, this Lagos State
University graduate of Communication Arts who
is known for her calmness, has also produced
many films on her own. She spoke with MURPHY
AJIBADE
Excerpts:
Tell us when, where and how you joined the
movie industry?
I started with the Ray Eyiwunmi Organisation. It
is a group consisting of Lasun Ray, Muka Ray,
and Murphy Ray. I started February 2006. I
joined the group and became like an apprentice
learning from them. I produced my own first
movie in 2007. It was entitled Tolani Osinrin.
What prompted you go into acting?
For me, acting is inborn. My dad used to be in
the Awarawa theatre group with the likes of Jide
Kosoko and others. When I was in primary
school, we used to practice acting. Not long ago,
when some of my classmates saw me, they were
like ‘O, Abiodun so you finally became an
actress’. So it is something that I grew up with.
Since you joined the industry how many movies
have you featured in?
I have lost count… I’m sure it is about 50 or
more.
Tell us some of them?
I produced five myself, Tolani Osinrin, Okanjua,
Oke-irapada, Asise Nla and Edidi Igbeyawo. I
have featured in Lagos to Benin, Uncle Adisa,
Opin-Irin ajo, Ohun Buruku, Aso tuntun,
Boseyemi, Temiyemi by Bimbo Oshin, Taloye… I
have lost count
Which one of them do you think propelled you to
stardom?
I will say here that Tolani Osinrin, my first
production. It shot me into limelight. All along, I
had been featuring in two scenes, three scenes.
But when I did Tolani Osinrin, the name got
stuck with me, and people were asking ‘who is
this Tolani girl?’ and so the name went a long
way before my face registered on people’s
minds, so Tolani Osinrin did.
Tell us about yourself?
My name is Abiodun Sofuyi, I am the last born in
a family of five of which I am the only girl. My
mother is a trader, my father is a prophet. I hail
from Ogere in Ogun State. I attended Onayade
Primary school, from there to Jibowu High
School from where I proceeded to Lagos State
University(LASU) where I studied Communication
Arts. I did my Industrial Training at Lagos
Television(LTV) before I started acting.
Most challenging role?
I am yet to see a very challenging role, but right
now I will give it to Aso Tuntun. Because in the
movie, I had to run seriously and because of my
plumy stature it was difficult for me to run. I am
not that slim and could not roll freely, but
because am an actress I just had to do it. But I
will still say my best is yet to come, I have not
been challenged the way I really want.
Have you ever been sexually harassed to get a
role?
No, because I came in through the right channel
where we are not allowed to go to location
without the guidance of our Oga (boss). By the
time I started going to locations, I was already a
producer and a known face, so it never happened
to me.
What kind of clothes do you love?
I love bump shorts a lot.
Favorite perfume?
I love praga and gucci
Favorite colours?
I love flashy colours, I love facial pink, yellow,
and blue
Who is your role model in the Nigeria movie
industry?
I love Bukky Wright, Joke Silva, Fathia Balogun,
Shola Shobowale
Most embarrassing moment on set?
It was between me and Lasun Ray, I was acting
as a nurse in the movie and instead of facing the
camera, I was backing it at that point he had to
scold me and I was crying because I was not
used to the system at that time. I felt they were
insulting publicly. But along the line, I realized
that is how the industry is, because for you to be
good, you have to be scolded and corrected. I
later played the part in the movie and when the
film came out, I appreciated the scolding
because I later performed well.
Most embarrassing moment with fans?
I was trekking on the street and I saw three
ladies coming towards my direction, two of the
ladies recoginsed me and and were friendly, and
one said “Oh, see Tolani Osinrin” and they were
coming towards me to greet me. But the third
one wasn’t friendly, as she said “who is Tolani
Osinrin?” She just drew the other two back and
said “come on, let’s go”. I was so embarrassed.
Do you play romantic roles?
Sure
How far can you go?
As far as going acting dirty, because my children
are going to watch my movie

No comments: